Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Mission to be Crunchy

crunchy mama:  Mother who supports homebirth, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, co-sleeping, gentle discipline, etc. One who questions established medical authority; tends to be vegetarian and/or prepare all-organic foods. See crunchy and hippie.  (www.Urbandictionary.com)

We don't agree 100% with the above definition - we are more of the "spare the rod, spoil the child" opinion and love a good hamburger...but that is another post entirely!

How it all started...

Katie has been a tree hugger to some degree for as long as I have known her.  I vividly recall her panicking when my Mom suggested we release balloons outside.  She was a vegetarian (until she came to her senses) and has always been an avid recycler.  If that doesn't scream TREE HUGGER then I don't know what does.  Her Crunchy Mama senses kicked into high gear after she had children and once she became friends with Jesus.

Me on the other hand, I had no interest in the environment or anything natural...until I had kids.  Once I became responsible for other human beings I took an interest in natural health.  My mind was blown when I started watching documentary after documentary explaining how dangerous the chemicals are that are found in our everyday products.  I immediately threw away all of my cheap, store bought toiletries.  I couldn't scrub my babies down with chemically laced baby washes and feel good about it.

Eventually this lead to making my own goods.  At this same time, Katie began making her own toiletries too.  We were on the phone daily swapping homemade toothpaste and deodorant recipes.  The words, "bentonite clay" "unrefined coconut oil" "number 7 plastic" and "pthalates" got overused A LOT during this time.

My objective to start making the goods came out of necessity.  Finding affordable, quality products is hard to find, and frankly I couldn't afford to run to the health food store and spend my entire hygiene budget on a single tube of toothpaste and a bar of soap.  Together, Katie and I began researching natural ingredients to go into our everyday products.

It has been a few years since this quest began.  Now, I'm filled with happiness when I watch my five year old brush his teeth with grey, clove flavored, clay-like toothpaste.  I can say with pride that I'm doing the best I possibly can for my family, and I feel good about it!

Then came Crunchy Mamas.

Katie and I decided we wanted to spread the love.  Our main goal is to provide chemical free, natural, safe, environmentally friendly products you can feel good about.  That is why we use NO preservatives, fragrances, dyes, or artificial flavors.  We use quality organic ingredients from our favorite, Mountain Rose Herbs.

This stuff is good enough for my babies (whom I love more than FaveREDS starbursts and Jane Austen books turned into movies) so I firmly believe it is good enough for you and your family!

Thanks for stopping by and getting to know us better.  Now I will leave you with several embarrassing photos of Katie and I...












"The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it."  (1 Corinthians 10:26)

No comments:

Post a Comment